Preparing you home for Fire Season
Ready Set Go, fire plan.
Here are some things you can do to ‘harden’ your home and commercial building and make it more fire-resistant.
As a Fire & Water Restoration Company who works in people’s homes and offices following wildfire damage, we hear all the time, “If I had only been prepared…” or “I never would have thought this would happen to me.” We wanted to pass along some practical preventive tips we picked up from a frontrunner in wildfire preparation.
"Things You Can Do Today"
Clean roof surfaces and gutters of pine needles, leaves, branches, etc., regularly to avoid the accumulation of flammable materials.
Remove portions of any tree extending within 10 feet of the flue opening of any stove or chimney.
Maintain a screen constructed of non-flammable material over the flue opening of every chimney or stovepipe. Mesh openings of the screen should not exceed 1/2 inch.
Landscape vegetation should be spaced so that fire cannot be carried to the structure or surrounding vegetation.
Remove branches from trees to a height of 15 feet.
A fuel break should be maintained around all structures.
Dispose of stove or fireplace ashes and charcoal briquettes only after soaking them in a metal pail of water.
Store gasoline in an approved safety can away from occupied buildings.
Propane tanks should be far enough away from buildings for valves to be shut off in case of fire. Keep the area clear of flammable vegetation.
All combustibles such as firewood, picnic tables, boats, etc. should be kept away from structures.
Garden hose should be connected to the outlet.
Addressing should be indicated at all intersections and on structures.
All roads and driveways should be at least 16 feet in width.
Have fire tools handy such as a ladder long enough to reach the roof, shovel, rake, and bucket for water.
Each home should have at least two different entrance and exit routes.
To learn more on the topic of Fire Preparedness and Prevention in California, visit the Cal Fire’s website for further resources. Call us at SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marino 626-799-1762!
Safe Fire Habits For Your Home
Safe fire habits can help you have an ease of mind about fires.
Here at SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marino know how scary a fire can be, here are some habits that can help you fire-safe your home.
Developing Fire-Safe Habits For Your Home
- Keep items that can catch on fire at least three feet away from anything that gets hot, such as space heaters.
- Smoking materials are the leading cause of residential fire deaths in the United States. If you smoke, take precautions: Smoke outside; choose fire-safe cigarettes; never smoke in bed, when drowsy or medicated, or if anyone in the home is using oxygen.
- Use deep, sturdy ashtrays and douse cigarette and cigar butts with water before disposal.
- Talk to children regularly about the dangers of fire, matches, and lighters and keep them out of reach.
- Turn portable heaters off when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended, even for a minute.
SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marino is here 24/7 for any of your Commercial and residential fire restoration needs. Call us @ 626-799-1762
Do You Smell Something?
Do you smell something, here are some tips to elimate it!
Do you have an odor in your South Pasadena or San Marino residence or commercial building?
If so, you might ask where it’s coming from. Is there a specific source that’s letting off this smell? What’s causing it, and how can it be eliminated once and for all?
Sometimes, an odor could originate from a deceased animal trapped in your attic. That’s an easy and simple cleanup. Other times, the odor could be much more difficult to pinpoint. When the situation is more complex or dispersed, there’s more of a science to identify the root of the issue.
This is when SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marino steps in. Our highly trained technicians have taken IICRC technical classes to learn how to properly identify and remove odors.
Let’s get rid of this smell so that your personal chemical sensor (your nose) agrees with the surrounding air once again!
Oftentimes, people try masking a serious odor. In an attempt to scare the smell away, here are a few common methods used, but are either very temporary or to be used with caution:
- Purchase and light a candle warmer
- Spray a pleasant scent
- Sprinkle baking soda everywhere (which can neutralize odors permanently, however, use caution or avoid if you have pets. If ingested, animals can become ill)
- Cleaning furniture or walls with soapy water
- Leaving windows open (which is sometimes a preventative measure to take, but can also allow additional moisture to travel inside depending on climate and temperatures)
If the odor stems from an issue such as mold, a gas leak, improper heating equipment, a blocked chimney, or spilled chemicals, the methods above might cover the smell for a short while, but will not be able to stop the smell from resurfacing. In many of these instances, the smell could lead to sickness or could even be fatal.
If you discover the source, and it’s an easy fix (rotting vegetables in your refrigerator, a bag of old gym shoes in your garage, food stuck in your drain because you forgot to use the garbage disposal, etc.), then you’re in luck.
However, if you suspect the smell source to be one of the issues listed two paragraphs above, you will want to call a professional immediately.
Leave it to SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marino if you want a safe, thorough, and effective cleanup. With our extensive knowledge and latest, state-of-the-art equipment, we will have the smell source identified, located, and carefully eliminated.
Give us a call at (626)799-1762 with any questions or for your odor removal needs.
Restoring Your Commercial Property After a Water Damage
Comercial Water Damage
Flooding and water damage events at your commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marino specialize in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marino is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who have been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration, and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO South Pasadena/San Marino
SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marino specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Tips If You Are Suspect of Mold
Mold can spread qwuickly call us if you suspect mold.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores that become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of South Pasadnena anytime 24/7!
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marino specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our businesses. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 626-799-1762
Recover Items After A Flood
Water damage in the house
If you’ve ever experienced a house flooding, you might have lost a few items, or maybe you lost most of your possessions depending on the extent of the waters and how long you waited to dry your furnishings, accessories, and trinkets.
If you want to salvage your goods after experiencing flooding, it’s essential you dry items within a 48-hour timeframe.
Below is a list of tips and suggestions on how to save your items:
- Improve air circulation! Don’t contain the moisture. Instead, open windows and doors. If there are no windows or doors leading outside in the particular room, open closet and cabinet doors.
- Turn on a fan! It can either be a ceiling fan, a floor fan, or both. However, please do not plug a fan into an outlet attached to a wall that is wet or has water behind it. That’s an easy way to get electrocuted.
- Use a dehumidifier. These remove water vapor from the air. To be effective, it must be used in a contained area. Be sure to shut all doors and windows during use to prohibit more humidity from entering.
- Use a sump pump. These remove water out of the house or office through a hose or pipe. They’re useful when the floodwater level is more than a couple inches deep.
- Got soaked items? Quick! Take them out of your house. Allow them to try off in the sun. Keeping them indoors will ensure nothing ever dries up as their excessive moisture will travel to surrounding objects.
- Try a wet-dry shop vacuum. Never use a regular vacuum cleaner. A shop vac is specifically made for wet conditions.
At SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marino, we are water damage, restoration experts. With the latest, state-of-the-art equipment, you can trust us to clean up and restore your property back to how it used to be!
Give us a call today at (626)799-1762 if you have any questions about or needs for water damage restoration.
The SERVPRO Ready Plan
Did you know that it is estimated that up to 50% of businesses that close due to a disaster, such as fire and flood never reopen? Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had an emergency preparedness plan in place.
Are you “Ready for whatever happens?”
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens.
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Plan serves as a quick reference of important building and contact information or can be an ideal supplement to any well-designed emergency preparedness or existing contingency program. Rather than simply reacting to disaster situations, most prefer proactive measures to establish a relationship with a restoration services company.
By working with SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marina to develop your personalized Emergency READY Plan your business will receive the benefit of over 30 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marina is a leader in water and fire damage response for the greater LA area and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
Call our office at (626)799-1762 to learn more about how to set up this profile for your facility and get prepared before disaster strikes!
Gutters and their importance!
Gutters are a very important part of roofs for commercial and residential buildings as they are responsible for transporting water and debris off of roofs. Especially in stormy seasons, it is important to ensure gutters are functioning to their highest ability.
Removal of water and debris in gutters lightens the load on the roof, preventing the possibility of roof leaks and caving under stress from the weather. It is important gutters are maintained in optimal working condition to prevent damage to the entire commercial or residential structure.
Gutters should be inspected twice yearly and cleared of debris that could prevent the flow of water and materials from the roof. Also, check for standing water in gutters as it could indicate an inadequate flow of water. Water should be moving down off the roof toward storm drainage areas. Keeping trees trimmed near the roof will alleviate stress on gutters because the branches will not slow water flow or contribute more debris to gutters.
Ensure water is being funneled away from the building once off the roof, as flooding can sometimes occur due to runoff not having proper.
Water stains on the internal ceiling can indicate a roof leak.
In the case of water damage, roof leaks, and storm damage, SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marino provides “24 Hour Emergency Services.” is here to help. Call our office anytime (626)
Working from home?
A Person working from home.
With the current state of the world, most businesses have their employees working from home. Being in a confined space for a long amount of time can really dampen someone's mood. We've put together some small tips to help boost your energy at home work days!
- Create a new Playlist. Music can always uplift the spirit.
- Do some virtual tour of destinations!
- Meditation. This helps release the stress out during the day
- Daily exercise
Remember SERVPRO of South Pasadena/San Marina always open 24/7 for all your water, fire, mold, and biohazard needs. Give us a call today if you have any questions! (626) 799-1762