Spring Time Cleaning Tips from SERVPRO
Many homeowners believe spring maintenance is all about the cleaning. Sure, spring cleaning consist of all around home maintenance, but providing maintenance to your home structure, appliances, and systems within your home is just as important. For example, you can’t forget your roof and the possibility that ice dams formed over the winter. Indeed, just as much as that first spring day should provide an excuse to go for a hike or a picnic, it should also provide you with a reminder that your outdoor spring maintenance is waiting.
Here is a spring maintenance checklist with a few tips to ensure your home is in great condition for the rest of the year.
Spring Maintenance Checklist
- Siding: Clean siding with a pressure washer to keep mold from growing. Check all wood surfaces for weathering and paint failure. If you think there is mold present anywhere in your home, get in contact with SERVPRO of S.Pasadena/San Marino and we will come out and provide you with a free estimate.
- Exterior caulking: Inspect caulking and replace if deteriorating.
- Window sills, door sills, and thresholds: Fill cracks, caulk edges, repaint or replace if necessary.
- Window and door screens: Clean screening and check for holes. If holes are bigger than a quarter, that is plenty of room for bugs to climb in. Patch holes or replace the screen. Tighten or repair any loose or damaged frames, replace broken, worn-out, or missing hardware. Tighten and lubricate door hinges and closers.
- Drain waste and vent system
- Hot water heater: Lubricate circulating pump and motor.
- Evaporative air conditioner: Clean unit, check belt tension and adjust if needed. Replace cracked or worn belt.
- Heat pump: Lubricate blower motor.
- Foundation: Check foundation walls, floors, concrete, and masonry for cracking, heaving, or deterioration.
- Roof: Inspect roof surface, perform a thorough cleaning. Check flashings around all surface projections and sidewalls.
- Deck and porches: Check all decks, patios, porches, stairs, and railings for loose members and deterioration.
- Landscape: This is a natural for spring home maintenance. Cut back and trim all vegetation and overgrown bushes from structures. Limbs and leaves can cut into your home’s paint and force you to have that side of the house repainted. A little trimming can save a lot of money and time.
- Sprinklers: Check lawn sprinkler system for leaky valves, exposed lines, and improperly working sprinkler heads.
- Gutters and downspouts: Pull leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts. Reattach gutters that have pulled away from the house. Run a hose on the roof and check for proper drainage.
If you believe you have a leak, contact SERVPRO of S.Pasadena/San Marino and we will come out and provide you with a free estimate.